Re: Client sqlplus SELECT + SPOOL knocks down server network

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:29:01 +0100

joel garry wrote:
[snip]
> reflect the manly DIY mindset of building an OS, endlessly recompiling
> the kernel with different modules and tacking on mysteriously updated
> drivers that you supposedly should be able to read and understand the
> C source to.

You do not recompile with modules - you either have functionality compiled into the kernel, or you have a modularized system. A mix is possible, of course: most hardware compiled into the kernel, some modules used.

When everything is compiled into the kernel, this is know as a monolithic kernel - useful for firewalls, routers and the like - modules are not supported because of possible security flaws.

Adding a module to the kernel is done with the modprobe command - it probes the hardware in order to find out if the module should be activated.

Generally, the kernel is bloated with support for hardware you do not have installed - compiling a new kernel usually will give you a much smaller kernel, resulting in faster boot, and better response time without having to sacrifice anything.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up