Re: Oracle on Solaris or Linux

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:21:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 11, 11:44 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Mr. Chow Wing Siu wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > After reading the discussion of Oracle on Windows or UNIX,
> > I would like to discuss Oracle on Solaris or Linux.
>
> > Any point or idea on either of them?
>
> > Thank you very much.
>
> > --
> > Johnson Chow
>
> Choose the one that makes the best fit with the in-house expertise
> of your *NIX Sys Admins.
>
> If they know Solaris get Solaris.
>
> If not then get management to give you a firm quote on available
> training money.
>
> If the budget will provide sufficient training it doesn't matter.
>
> If the training budget is mediocre or non-existent choose Linux.

For once I agree with most of what Captain Morgan wrote above.

Until the last sentence. The patching process for solaris ( and hpux for that matter ) is very mature and proven. Between built in monitoring tools and rock solid diagnostics capabilities ... the training for either solaris or linux is probably very comparable. Lots of choices for books in either os also. Received on Tue Mar 11 2008 - 18:21:41 CDT

Original text of this message