Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:14:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 10, 7:16 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck..._at_attglobal.net> wrote:
> jgar the jorrible wrote:
> >> ANY certification.  These guys (and gals) have been DBA's much longer
> >> than MySQL - or even SQL Server - has been around, much less
> >> certifications for them.  Not sure when Oracle started up.
>
> > Well, maybe people in the IBM mainframe world of the '80s didn't want
> > to talk to you about how stupid IBM was for not aggresively following
> > up on their own theorists and let Oracle put out a product first.
>
> Sorry, incorrect.
>
> > You might learn some history, man. "Yes, actually Oracle had an
> > earlier SQL product than IBM. IBM invented the language, but Oracle
> > shipped it first."http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/sqlr95-Oracle.html
>
> Sorry, try again.  IBM had a relational database as a commercial product
> in the late 70's.  I don't remember what it was called at the time - but
> it implemented the SQL language at the time.  This later evolved into DB2.
>
> And don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Well, I gotta say, the particular link I posted is a lot more trustable than "I don't remember what it was called at the time - but it implemented the SQL language at the time..." Go back to that link and look at the quote attributed to Codd. And read the rest of doc with those navigation arrows at the top and bottom, it might happen to be about what you don't remember.

>I wasn't working on relational databases at the time, but I was working for IBM and familiar with many of their products.

So you were not in an ivory tower, you were in a manure silo. I guess that makes you a hands-on expert.

Oh, and I watched part of Dan putting together that OOW demo - it wasn't a "tool" it was a 24 node cluster. From scratch.

And I did know about Mendeleev from before they mentioned him in AP high school chemistry.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Often a quick way to improve code is to remove the entire exception