Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:16:55 -0500

jgar the jorrible wrote:
> On Mar 8, 8:02 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck..._at_attglobal.net> wrote:
>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>> We've a mixed crowd on this thread ... MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server
>>> so we need to be careful about what we claim and how it will be
>>> interpreted by different audiences.
>>> MySQL certification?
>> ANY certification. These guys (and gals) have been DBA's much longer
>> than MySQL - or even SQL Server - has been around, much less
>> certifications for them. Not sure when Oracle started up.
>>

> Well, maybe people in the IBM mainframe world of the '80s didn't want
> to talk to you about how stupid IBM was for not aggresively following
> up on their own theorists and let Oracle put out a product first.

Sorry, incorrect.

> You might learn some history, man. "Yes, actually Oracle had an
> earlier SQL product than IBM. IBM invented the language, but Oracle
> shipped it first." http://www.mcjones.org/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/sqlr95-Oracle.html

Sorry, try again. IBM had a relational database as a commercial product in the late 70's. I don't remember what it was called at the time - but it implemented the SQL language at the time. This later evolved into DB2.

And don't believe everything you read on the internet.

> Personally, I started working with a relational db in a business
> environment in early 1981, but it wasn't SQL.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.baselinemag.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=4536&pop=1&hide_ads=1&page=0&hide_js=1

I wasn't working on relational databases at the time, but I was working for IBM and familiar with many of their products.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address