Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:02:06 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>>> The other really sad part is that they were hired because they were
>>> "certified".
>>
>> None of these are "certified", AFAIK. They were hired for their
>> knowledge, not because of a piece of paper. But then they were doing
>> it long before certifications were around.
>
> We've a mixed crowd on this thread ... MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server
> so we need to be careful about what we claim and how it will be
> interpreted by different audiences.
>
> MySQL certification?

ANY certification. These guys (and gals) have been DBA's much longer than MySQL - or even SQL Server - has been around, much less certifications for them. Not sure when Oracle started up.

> SQL Server certification may be important to finding jobs. I don't
> know the market well enough to comment and given my proximity to
> Redmond my view may be skewed.

Only for clueless employers. Proven ability to do the job is more important for knowledgeable ones.

Certification means only that you can pass a test, not that you can do the job. Just like driving - passing a written test only means you read the book, not that you can handle the vehicle.

> Oracle certification, at least in my part of the planet is a waste as
> it won't get you a job and teaches much that is incorrect.
>
> I wouldn't open my mouth for my dentist if she had the equivalent
> skill set of someone that gets a certificate in a software program.

Ditto.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address