Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:09:58 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> The operative phrase here is "top notch." If they ever took even a basic
>>> class on normalization they could not have missed the name Boyce. If
>>> they learned more in C than "Hello World" they'd know who Dennis is.
>>
>> Not necessarily.  A lot of great DBA's know normalization but don't
>> know  Boyce.

> I would disagree with your characterization of them as "great DBAs."

That is a completely asinine comment. You don't know them; you don't know their background or their jobs, you don't know their training and you don't know the quality of work they do.

Yet you say they are not great DBA's because they aren't familiar with Boyce's name? I've seen stupid and small minded in this group before, but that tops the cake.

> I know that might be your impression of them. And I've no doubt they
> can install, patch, and backup and restore without crashing and burning.
> But it takes more than that to be "great."

And you have no idea what my background is. For your information, I've been programming for over 40 years. I've been working with RDB's for around 25 years - I started while working for IBM in the early 80's. And I've been teaching sql and database administration to Fortune 500 companies for around 15 years.

I know a great dba when I see one. And I know a small minded idiot when I see one. Your comments do NOT show you are a great DBA.

> You don't know normalization if you don't know Boyce-Codd Normal Form.
> What you are describing is the competent self-taught ... not the
> "great."

Who said they don't know Boyce-Codd Normal Form? They know how to normalize a database. They know the rules for each of the 5 normal forms. The fact YOU call it Boyce-Codd does not mean everyone does.

> All "great" lawyers go to law school.
> All "great" surgeons go to medical school.
> All "great" engineers to go college/university.
> Only in our profession is great defined by the fact that so far
> the bridges you've built haven't killed anyone ... well lately.

Small minded people make small minded comments.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address