Re: Migration to Oracle

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 07:00:08 -0500

If SQL Developer raises a NULL pointer exception, have you tried to get behind that problem?
Anyway, there are other tools you can try. E.g. SwisSQL which converts from anywhere to anywhere. Naturally I cannot vouch for their quality going from SQL Server to Oracle...
http://www.swissql.com/

I think the disconnect between you and Daniel is that Daniel considers redesign on migration a must, while your bosses consider it a must not. Your bosses win that argument (for now) s they hold the purse string ;-)

Just be advised that in any automated migration the end result is an emulation. That is you will be running SQL Server on Oracle with the obvious loss of performance along the way. After your functional migration you will have to selectively redesign anything that is performance critical.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau