Re: Migration to Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:03:15 -0800

meysam.khayatan_at_gmail.com wrote:

> i dont want to sql server 2000 db to oracle manually.

What you "want" is far less relevant than what you should do if you want to do a professional job that you can be proud of.

> i have 3 application that i want to migrate each db of them to one
> schima but first i should migrate db structures to oracle then moved data to
> that i know some tools are for this goal like DbBalance , SqlDeveloper and
> some other tools ...
> but sql Developer produced by Oracle seemingly also this tool is free
> so i want to use this tool
> but i couldn't used it and make even a connection to my sql server or
> oracle db cause of java null failure
> (Failure: java.lang.NullPointerException)

Which part of "you must read the docs" didn't you understand? <g>

The best solution to your problem is to dump the SQL Server data as delimited ASCII, preferably not comma delimited, and then use SQL*Loader to get it into Oracle. It isn't a dumbed down GUI. Which is why it does such a phenomenally good job.

> i installed all reqiured component i think
> but i'm not succees in using this tool
> i searching for way to used this tool or finding tools like this
> can anyone help me???

Probably not because it is the wrong tool for the job.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor