will there be data loss?

From: Ben <benalvey_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:33:43 -0800 (PST)

10.2.0.2 EE, AIX 5.2 64bit. RMAN 10.2.0.2

I have run the scenario and know the outcome, but was surprised kind of.

database is in archivelog mode. I start up rman and connect to target and catalog then take a hot tablespace backup of the users tablespace which is made up of one datafile.
I then proceed to log in via sqlplus and create a new table

balvey.testing( txt varchar2(200), numb1 number) tablespace users;

and insert 4 records and commit

alter system switch logfile

select count(*) from balvey.testing and see the 4 records.

exit sqlplus and using os commands I delete the one and only datafile that makes up the tablespace

If I log into the database again and insert records into the newly created balvey.testing and commit. Will the data that was inserted after deleting the datafile be lost? Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 13:33:43 CST

Original text of this message