Re: will there be data loss?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:46:34 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 27, 2:33 pm, Ben <benal..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> 10.2.0.2 EE, AIX 5.2 64bit. RMAN 10.2.0.2
>
> I have run the scenario and know the outcome, but was surprised kind
> of.
>
> database is in archivelog mode. I start up rman and connect to target
> and catalog then take a hot tablespace backup of the users tablespace
> which is made up of one datafile.
> I then proceed to log in via sqlplus and create a new table
>
> balvey.testing( txt varchar2(200), numb1 number) tablespace users;
>
> and insert 4 records and commit
>
> alter system switch logfile
>
> select count(*) from balvey.testing and see the 4 records.
>
> exit sqlplus and using os commands I delete the one and only datafile
> that makes up the tablespace
>
> If I log into the database again and insert records into the newly
> created balvey.testing and commit. Will the data that was inserted
> after deleting the datafile be lost?

Does a commit require only that the online redo log buffer space that belongs to the transaction gets flushed to disk or does a commit also force data buffers to be written to datafiles?

If you know the answer to that one ... it might give you a hint about possible outcomes. Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 18:46:34 CST

Original text of this message