Re: Disappearing Sessions - Can Code Alone Cause It?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:00:59 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 27, 1:24 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 8:55 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just open the SR with that as a generic question and ask where they
> > suggest you start troubleshooting. If you have a support contract,
> > they are getting paid a bazillion bucks, so you may as well use it.
>
> > HTH,
>
> > Steve
>
> I agree with the escalation advice, but have you ever had a generic
> question answered by support? (I'm not being sarcastic, it just
> conflicts with my experience and the general "How to ask a support
> question" advice.

You know, I actually have. They will normally ask you to do a bunch of crap that may seem useless, but a lot of times I have seen them give a smack yourself in the forehead suggestion. My issue is after three weeks of the DBA evidently not giving anything useful, and especially given that if the problem is as the Derek suggests, then something really weird is happening if there are no trace files on either the client or the server.

My guess would be the SR goes like this.

SEV 2 (or maybe 3)

Day 1 - File SR with question "We are losing sessions. Where do we start."
Day 2 (or maybe 3) - Support analysts asks for an RDA (a great start anyway)
Day 4 - User uploads
Day 6 (or maybe 7) - Analyst comes back again and asks him to run some weird event I've never heard of
Day 9 - Problem happens
Day 10 - User uploads
Day 11 Analyst says "They are reviewing the information and will get ASAP".

Day 15 - User pings analyst
Day 16 - Analysts says development is looking at it
Day 20 - User pings support
Day 22 - Analyst says "Nothing yet"
Day 24 - Analyst comes back and says it looks like BUG 12345678
Day 26 - In the mean time, the user has looked through the trace file
and found something useful through Google, lost a good bit of hair, and changed their code by that time anyway :) Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 13:00:59 CST

Original text of this message