Re: Disappearing Sessions - Can Code Alone Cause It?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:24:53 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 27, 8:55 am, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 5:00 am, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > Oracle 10.2.0.3.0
> > Windows 2003 Server
> > 16GB Memory (93% SGA( 93% Buffer Cache,<3% Shared Pool, <3% Large Pool), 7%
> > PGA)
>
> > Our off-site DBA is saying our code is causing the disappearing sessions
> > because, to paraphrase him: that's the database it has to run in.  That's
> > why hes telling us to do things like incremental commits.
>
> > My question is:  can code alone cause sessions to sometimes run to
> > completion but other times just disappear without a trace?
>
> > I have a feeling he's trying to make us do work-arounds rather than trying
> > to get to the actual root cause of this problem.
>
> Hi Derek,
>
> It looks like you have been struggling with this problem for at least
> three weeks, so I suggest being a little less academic and a little
> more pragmatic.
>
> I would suggest going to your manager (or straight to the DBA) and ask
> whomever to open an SR with oracle about "why your sessions are
> 'disappearing'".  This is not "normal" behavior (assuming there is
> nothing they catch right off the bat in the config).  I wouldn't worry
> (right now) about any ORA-7445, or ORA-3135, or redo logs, or huge
> cursors of 35 million rows, etc.
>
> Just open the SR with that as a generic question and ask where they
> suggest you start troubleshooting.  If you have a support contract,
> they are getting paid a bazillion bucks, so you may as well use it.
>
> HTH,
>
> Steve

I agree with the escalation advice, but have you ever had a generic question answered by support? (I'm not being sarcastic, it just conflicts with my experience and the general "How to ask a support question" advice. But my experience is also that there is a wide variance in how questions are handled in different support areas, I know some would just blow it off with an RTFM answer and others would want to show off their expertise, and if things go right it may indeed come to a solution.).

The bazillion bucks issue sure is a sore point where I work (even more so with the 3rd party enterprise software), for me it is generally a bad idea to set off the damagement by even bringing the subject up. They claim they've never been treated badly by MS support... insert nile-river-in-egypt joke here.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Put a shy person in a red chair and watch them blossom." - Elsie de