Re: Disappearing Sessions - Can Code Alone Cause It?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:55:02 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 27, 5:00 am, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> Oracle 10.2.0.3.0
> Windows 2003 Server
> 16GB Memory (93% SGA( 93% Buffer Cache,<3% Shared Pool, <3% Large Pool), 7%
> PGA)
>
> Our off-site DBA is saying our code is causing the disappearing sessions
> because, to paraphrase him: that's the database it has to run in. That's
> why hes telling us to do things like incremental commits.
>
> My question is: can code alone cause sessions to sometimes run to
> completion but other times just disappear without a trace?
>
> I have a feeling he's trying to make us do work-arounds rather than trying
> to get to the actual root cause of this problem.

Hi Derek,

It looks like you have been struggling with this problem for at least three weeks, so I suggest being a little less academic and a little more pragmatic.

I would suggest going to your manager (or straight to the DBA) and ask whomever to open an SR with oracle about "why your sessions are 'disappearing'". This is not "normal" behavior (assuming there is nothing they catch right off the bat in the config). I wouldn't worry (right now) about any ORA-7445, or ORA-3135, or redo logs, or huge cursors of 35 million rows, etc.

Just open the SR with that as a generic question and ask where they suggest you start troubleshooting. If you have a support contract, they are getting paid a bazillion bucks, so you may as well use it.

HTH, Steve Received on Wed Feb 27 2008 - 10:55:02 CST

Original text of this message