Re: What is "exceeds notification threshold"?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:23:22 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 31, 4:42 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:34:02 -0800, Peter Teoh wrote:
> > My alert.log showed the following:
>
> > Completed: ALTER DATABASE OPEN
> > Thu Jan 31 13:57:36 2008
> > Shutting down archive processes
> > Thu Jan 31 13:57:41 2008
> > ARCH shutting down
> > ARC2: Archival stopped
> > Thu Jan 31 16:35:18 2008
> > Memory Notification: Library Cache Object loaded into SGA Heap size
> > 2290K exceeds notification threshold (2048K) KGL object name
> > :XDB.XDbD/PLZ01TcHgNAgAIIegtw== Thu Jan 31 16:35:19 2008
> > Memory Notification: Library Cache Object loaded into SGA Heap size
> > 2172K exceeds notification threshold (2048K) Details in trace file
> > /u01/app/oracle/admin/orcl/udump/ orcl_ora_11288.trc
> > KGL object name :XDB.XD+s5hmkr05krgMFeMBRYQnQ==
>
> > What is happening?
>
> There is a hidden parameter called "_kgl_large_heap_warning_threshold"
> in oracle10g and oracle11g which can be set to 16Mor 32M to alleviate
> this problem. This parameter does not exist in oracle9i.As Charles has
> told you, you are dealing with a bug. Of course, you should report the
> problem to the  technical support and not engage into fixing unsupported
> parameters yourself, without the instructions from Oracle Support.
>
> --http://mgogala.freehostia.com

A bug? I thought that one counted as a feature... it is kind of like a warning that if you hit your head on the table another 99 times it is really going to hurt.

Hidden parameters (those that begin with _) --> only change with the assistance of Oracle support.

It looks like the PDF file that I referenced is no longer available on the Internet. See Metalink Note:330239.1, which describes this hidden parameter.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Jan 31 2008 - 16:23:22 CST

Original text of this message