Re: Windows 2003: 10g doesn't start automatically after reboot

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:23:32 +0100

Christian Winther wrote:
> Wolfram Roesler schrieb:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using 10gR2 on Windows 2003 Server, and my problem is that
>> the database doesn't start automatically after a system reboot.
>> I get ORA-01034 and ORA-27101 even half an hour after starting
>> up the machine. I can start the DB manually with no problem.
>>
>> The OracleServiceORCL service is set to "automatic" and to
>> log in as LocalSystem. services.msc even reports it as
>> "started"!
>>
>> Administrator is a member of the ora_dba group, and is the only
>> user on the machine.
>>
>> ORA_ORCL_AUTOSTART is TRUE in HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_OraDb10g_home1.
>>
>> sqlnet.ora has these:
>>
>> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
>> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)
>>
>> There's nothing in the alert log: its last entry is "Completed:
>> ALTER DATABASE OPEN" but the date is way before the last reboot.
>> Nothing was written to the alert log, or any file in the bdump
>> or udump directories, since the last reboot.
>>
>> There's nothing Oracle-specific in the event log.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea where else to look?
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>> W. Rösler

> My experiences with W2k3 (german), 10g SEO 10.2.0.2, all Patches:
>
> sqlnet.ora:
>
> * with SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS) :
>
> - at the commandline-interface:
>
> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>
> sqlplus / as sysdba
>
> works fine
>
> - after reboot of the machine, the oracle-instance doesn't start, you
> must use:
>
> - at the commandline-interface:
>
> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>
> sqlplus / as sysdba
> startup
>

> * with SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) :
>
> - at the commandline-interface:
>
> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>
> sqlplus / as sysdba
>
> doesn't work
>
> you must use:
>
> sqlplus <username>/<password> as sysdba
>

> - after restart of the machine, the oracle-instance starts correctly
>
> But may be, dbconsole (OEM) doesn't work:
>
> - at the commandline-interface:
>
> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>
> (emctl status|start|stop dbconsole)
>
> emctl status dbconsole
> emctl start dbconsole
>

> In my mind, it's an oracle-bug.
>

> HTH CW

No - it's a feature, called security.
sqlplus uid/passwd is checked against the password file (because you specify "as sysdba" - otherwise it would be the database), sqlplus / uses the NT Security model (does NTS in sqlnet.ora now mean something?) to check if you are allowed to start or stop the instance. It should be there!

Question: why should your service login as LocalSystem? Did you actually install the product as local admin, or where you logged on to a domain?

If all else fails, you can just recreate the services, but first try:
- log in as administrator on the machine, not  any domain!
- oradim -edit -sid orcl -startmode auto

To drop and recreate the services, login as local admin, and:

- oradim -sid orcl -delete
- oradim -new -sid orcl -startmode manual -pfile "path_to\your\pfile"
-intpwd oracle
- oradim -edit -sid orcl -startmode auto

You may need to reboot between steps 2 and 3 - Windows does not sync services very well...

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up