Re: Windows 2003: 10g doesn't start automatically after reboot

From: Christian Winther <cw200406_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:24:05 +0100

Frank van Bortel schrieb:
> Christian Winther wrote:
[oracle startup problems with w2k3s]
>> My experiences with W2k3 (german), 10g SEO 10.2.0.2, all Patches:
>>
>> sqlnet.ora:
>>
>> * with SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS) :
>>
>> - at the commandline-interface:
>>
>> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>>
>> sqlplus / as sysdba
>>
>> works fine
>>
>> - after reboot of the machine, the oracle-instance doesn't start, you
>> must use:
>>
>> - at the commandline-interface:
>>
>> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>>
>> sqlplus / as sysdba
>> startup
>>

>> * with SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) :
>>
>> - at the commandline-interface:
>>
>> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>>
>> sqlplus / as sysdba
>>
>> doesn't work
>>
>> you must use:
>>
>> sqlplus <username>/<password> as sysdba
>>

>> - after restart of the machine, the oracle-instance starts correctly
>>
>> But may be, dbconsole (OEM) doesn't work:
>>
>> - at the commandline-interface:
>>
>> set ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid
>>
>> (emctl status|start|stop dbconsole)
>>
>> emctl status dbconsole
>> emctl start dbconsole
>>

>> In my mind, it's an oracle-bug.
>>

>> HTH CW

> No - it's a feature, called security.
> sqlplus uid/passwd is checked against the password file (because
> you specify "as sysdba" - otherwise it would be the database),
> sqlplus / uses the NT Security model (does NTS in sqlnet.ora
> now mean something?) to check if you are allowed to start
> or stop the instance. It should be there!

Thanks for your explanation. I'm not the perfect oracle dba expert, because I have only a SEO running with a small special application.

> Question: why should your service login as LocalSystem?
> Did you actually install the product as local admin, or where
> you logged on to a domain?

I have done a standard installation with a local admin account. ==> The oracle services were created running with a LocalSystem account.

After the installation, I have created a local account with more rights for oracle backup jobs (METALINK DocID: Note:360636.1 and Note:304153.1).

Q: Is it the better way to runnig oracle services with a special local account and not as LocalSystem?

> If all else fails, you can just recreate the services,
> but first try:
> - log in as administrator on the machine, not
>  any domain!
> - oradim -edit -sid orcl -startmode auto
>
> To drop and recreate the services, login as local admin, and:
> - oradim -sid orcl -delete
> - oradim -new -sid orcl -startmode manual -pfile "path_to\your\pfile"
> -intpwd oracle
> - oradim -edit -sid orcl -startmode auto
>
> You may need to reboot between steps 2 and 3 - Windows does
> not sync services very well...

Thanks, I will try it during the next maintenance jobs.

Regards CW Received on Mon Jan 21 2008 - 01:24:05 CST

Original text of this message