Re: sho command

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:58:36 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 31 2007, 4:36 pm, Rosie <rose.rami..._at_cdps.state.co.us> wrote:
> Using Oracle 9i -
>
> Using PL/SQL
>
> Is there a command like SQL's show table command that will show all
> the information for a specific table, like the table columns & size,
> any views, indexes, procedures, constraints, triggers, etc. associated
> with the table?
>
> Also, is there a command to show the dependancies associated to a
> table?
>
> Thanks,

This may or may not be what you are asking for, but there are many tools like OEM that make it easy to look this stuff up. I often have multiple windows open displaying SQL, OEM, an application-specific enhanced dictionary, the app, described tables, code I'm looking at to see how it was done elsewhere in the app, various docs, and oh yeah, the code I'm working on. OEM lets you see all the objects in schemata including things like views etc, right-clicking on tables lets you edit contents, see constraints and so on. Kind of a memory hog if you have a limited system, though.

If you are asking how to do it programmatically, Mladen and Mark answered. You just have to watch out for reinventing wheels, depending on what you are doing.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080101/news_1b1qcom.html