Re: Outer join by (+)

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:55:53 +0100

On 02.01.2008 17:47, DA Morgan wrote:
> The endless, and meaningless, debate about which is more intuitive or
> which has the prettiest color, or whatever is amusing. Lets look at
> reality.
>
> SELECT *
> FROM t1, t2
> WHERE t1.col = t2.col;
>
> replace the comma with the word JOIN
> replace the word WHERE with the word ON
> and you get
>
> SELECT *
> FROM t1 JOIN t2
> ON t1.col = t2.col;
>
> Lets see one byte becomes four so add 3
> and five bytes become two so subtract 3
>
> And for this people get excited?

People? Who? I can assure you that I keep posting only as long as my emotional balance does not get destroyed. :-)

> No doubt with a RIGHT OUTER JOIN you can stave off carpal tunnel
> syndrome for an additional 15 minutes by using (+) but is this
> really worth all the keystrokes that go into this seemingly
> endless discussion?

Of course not. So what made _you_ respond? :-)

Happy new year, btw!

Kind regards

        robert

PS: sorry for the silly remarks, I probably got too much sun today. :-) Received on Wed Jan 02 2008 - 11:55:53 CST

Original text of this message