Annoying delay of 10.2.0.4

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Dec 2007 09:08:36 GMT

Let's face it: the code quality of Oracle 10 is worse then dirt. There are many bugs, for various platforms, some of them extremely critical (wrong results with ANSI joins or even with hash joins). Oracle launched Oracle11 before fixing oracle 10.2 to an acceptable state. Are we being pushed into Oracle11 or is Oracle Corp. conducting some kind of politics at the expense of its customers? It does look much like a business equivalent of Iraq war. Will Oracle fix Oracle10 and when? What will be the future policy with patchsets? The worse code gets, the fewer patchsets they produce. I wonder whether it is time to recommend UDB to my management. All the apps are using Hibernate and WebLogic, switching to UDB should not be that difficult. I am extremely annoyed with Oracle Corp. I am not sure whether having so irritated customers is a sound business policy, but I am inclined to make my management vote with their wallet. That is about the only thing I can do. After all, my allegiance goes to my management, not to the company that is pulling my leg and refusing to fix the darned mess they call Oracle10.
Once upon a time, in a galaxy not so far away from here, there was a company called DEC in Maynard, MA. and it was the 2nd largest company in the computer industry. That company was behaving much like Oracle behaves today and caused anger and ire to their customers. That company sleeps with the fishes, together with their venerable operating system, once very much loved VMS. That should be the ultimate lesson for arrogant software companies. It maybe the right time to teach Oracle Corp. that lesson.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com