Re: Data migration from informix to oracle 10g R2

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:52:01 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 27, 4:29 pm, chijar <chi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 dic, 15:38, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > chijarwrote:
> > > Source: Informix
> > > Target: Oracle 10gR2 std Edition / LINUX RHEL AS v.4
>
> > > Dear all,
>
> > > i have to migrate data from several plain text files corresponding,
> > > each one of them, from INFORMIX tables.
>
> > > I dont have access to informix database. The information will be in
> > > text files and this data will be sending periodically, and the total
> > > data size of plain text files is about 30Gb. monthly.
>
> > > So, i must to do something in order to upload data (the data model is
> > > the same than source) and I will thinking migrate with sqlloader.
>
> > > Would you give me a light about that?
> > > Is fine or bad? or
> > > What another way do you give me in order to upload data?
>
> > > Please apologize my english and thanks a lot for your answers.
> > > cesar.
>
> > Will work just fine. It is the same method, the Migration
> > Workbench will use - but that also generates the sql*loader
> > control files. Watch out for large objects!
>
> > Just tell me - how do you plan to do the migration?
> > The is a certain time when the Informix goes down, data
> > needs to be moved, and Oracle comes up.
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel
>
> > Top-posting is one way to shut me up...- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>
> > - Mostrar texto de la cita -
>
> =) Thanks for your answer dear friend.
> But when you said "Watch out for large objects!" ... Would you refer
> to Workbench or sql*loader? and why? if i suppose this tools is
> prepared for little and large objects !!

Probably Frank is referrring to what becomes in oracle the datatype BLOB or CLOB ... binary large objects or character large objects.

> How do i plan my migration?
> well, i think something like that:
> - i receive the plain text.
> - upload the files to the tables in oracle
> - i see the results.

Besides sqlldr you can also think about using external files depending on oracle release of the target database.

As far as your migration plan ( if that's what you call it ) goes ... how about indexes? How are you going to grant permissions on the objects? How are you going to gather statistics? How are you going to backup your database? Received on Fri Dec 28 2007 - 12:52:01 CST

Original text of this message