Re: Oracle + VMWare

From: shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:10:08 +0100

"Matthias Hoys" <anti_at_spam.com> schreef in bericht news:476bdc08$0$22313$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be...

>> We have transfered a 10g SEO/W2k3s to VMware VI3 from a standalone
>> Server around 4 weeks ago.
>>
>> Always after 2 days oracle (TNSListener ?) doesn't response. There
>> isnt't anything to see in the windows eventlog, memory/cpu usage is
>> normal.
>>
>> In the oracle-trace-file is this:
>>
>> xxx_mmon_xxx.trc:
>> ksedmp: internal or fatal error
>> ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [ACCESS_VIOLATION]
>> [_keltfill+86] [PC:0xC21116] [ADDR:0x0] [UNABLE_TO_READ] []
>>
>> xxx_j000_xxx.trc:
>>
>> ksedmp: internal or fatal error
>> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [13310], [], [], [], [], [],
>> [], []
>> Current SQL statement for this session:
>> SELECT SYS_GUID() FROM SYS.DUAL
>>

>> Currently, I reboot the vm with the oracle db every night with a script.
>> That works for me, because oracle is only used for a small special
>> application.
>> Next year, we want to install linux on vm and will than move oracle to
>> this linux vm.
>>
>> The people, who have installed the esx server said, oracle with linux
>> works fine in a vm, but oracle with w2k3 on vm make probleme serveral
>> times.
>>
>> HTH CW
>> P.S.: Sorry, my english skill are a little bit rusty.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to say that we don't use Oracle on
> Windows :-) We currently have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS. Some of our
> other servers do have Windows.
>
> Matthias

We run several application servers (10.1.2, 10.1.3, 10.1.4) on VMWare ESX, guest OS is SuSE linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9.3. So far no problems. Performance *seems* to be ok. Be sure to install VMware tools on each guest, so VMWare can optimize its performance.
I heard there ARE problems if you use db with raw devices combined with the VMWare 'automove' (don't remember the correct term right now). It seems the devices get corrupted once the guest migrates from one server to another. Haven't tried that one myself yet.

Shakespeare

Shakespeare Received on Sat Dec 22 2007 - 13:10:08 CST