Re: Oracle + VMWare

From: John K. Hinsdale <hin_at_alma.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:07:05 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 21, 10:30 am, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to say that we don't use Oracle on Windows
> :-) We currently have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 AS. Some of our other
> servers do have Windows.

Hi Matthias -
Sounds like your Oracle is running on Red Hat Linux, and you are going to have those system(s) as the "guest" VM O/S, but you didn't mention what the "host" (physical) O/S was. All I can say is things worked well
for me w/ VMWare's "VM Server" product to run Windows virtually hosted on a Linux box, but didn't work to well to run Linux virtually on a Windows
physical box -- it was really slow. I ran Oracle on neither of these virtual machines.

But if you're going to host your Linux O/S, including an Oracle installation
running under it, and put all that on a Windows box, I'd be ready for problems.

Just my $0.02 and limited experience.

John Hinsdale Received on Thu Dec 27 2007 - 10:07:05 CST

Original text of this message