Re: RAC cache fusion details

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:15:49 -0800

vitalisman_at_gmail.com wrote:

> However the Oracle RAC documentation is not really trustworthy
> regarding what can be expected about performance, especially with such
> categorical statements as "If your application performed well on a
> single-instance Oracle database, then it will perform well in an
> Oracle RAC environment".

The sentence should be "If your application scaled well on ...." but your point is valid. RAC has what is referred to as the "spotlight effect" in terms of its ability to shine a bright light on poorly written code. Code optimized for RAC, from my experience, always scales well with single-instance.

RAC isn't for everybody and RAC isn't for every application. On the other hand that is to some extent caused by the fact that bad coding practices have become the norm as people hammer scalability into their app by purchasing ever bigger faster servers.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor