Re: RAC cache fusion details

From: <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 02:14:26 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 19, 6:55 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

> Oracle does not sell Oracle as a high performance enhancement.

Is this a Freudian slip? ;-)

> They sell
> it for high availability. Oracle's own published numbers for E-Business
> Suite 11i show scalability at 84%.
>
> What one big-iron box gives you is very high initial expense, very high
> upgrade costs, very high maintenance costs, and the realization that, at
> minimum, you need to purchase two or three of them of which all but one
> will be idle 99.99% of the time to achieve HA.
>
> What RAC gives you is good scalability using inexpensive commodity
> hardware. Incremental and affordable scalability. Highly flexible
> configuration. And most importantly load balancing and transparent
> failover.

Thanks for this very well-stated wrap-up. I agree with you.

However the Oracle RAC documentation is not really trustworthy regarding what can be expected about performance, especially with such categorical statements as "If your application performed well on a single-instance Oracle database, then it will perform well in an Oracle RAC environment". Received on Thu Dec 20 2007 - 04:14:26 CST