Re: Catalogue of SQL and PL/SQL bad practices: Call for participation

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:10:40 -0800

Gojko Adzic wrote:
> I started compiling a list of Oracle SQL and PL/SQL bad practices,
> with the intention of producing a comprehensive catalogue of common
> and recurring programming mistakes, that can be used as a check-list
> for code reviews or given to junior developers. I have identified
> about 30 bad practices so far. For each bad practice, I provided a
> list of symptoms in the code, an explanation why it causes problems
> and a list of preferred solutions.
> My goal with this list is primarily to start a discussion about
> similar recurring issues that other people have noticed. That
> discussion should lead to a more complete list which the community
> will then be able to use, hopefully, to learn something from the
> mistakes of others and to produce better code.
> I would really appreciate your feedback - if you are interested in
> discussing these practices we can either do it in this usenet group,
> or start a separate mailing list.
> You can download the first version of the catalogue in PDF form from
> --
> gojko adzic

My contributions to start it off:

1. Following advice from certain authors ... provide a list.
2. Anything that references BCHR and doesn't include the word "myth."
3. Anything that involves the phrase "index" and "rebuild" in the

    same sentence but does not include a reference to it being rarely     required.
4. Anything that uses a cursor loop.
5. EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'COMMIT'; ... and yes I've seen it in production

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group