Re: 2G limitation

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:27:13 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 11, 7:59 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 1:58 pm, Arch <send..._at_spam.net> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:01:19 +0100, Frank van Bortel
>
> > <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > >I doubt it's Oracle - I think it's MicroSoft Windows.
> > >Hence the other not so helpful remarks.
>
> > According to Microsoft, the /3GB switch in the boot.ini will enable an
> > application to use the full 3 Gig, but only if it is coded to do so.
> > An application needs the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in its
> > header, otherwise it is limited to 2 Gig.
>
> > I'm not suggesting whether it is a Windows limitation or an Oracle
> > limitation, but I think that Oracle would be in a better position to
> > answer the question than Microsoft.
>
> As Niall said, it is documented on metalink, in particular see Note:
> 225349.1. The note specifies which combinations of OS and Oracle
> version work with this, as well as explains how it works, and
> craploads of problems. You have to use db_block_buffers no matter
> which version, and set USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS=TRUE.
>
> I have to agree with some others, get a real operating system. Of
> course, I'm biased.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Mike Myers is Milton Friedman. http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071210/news_1c10book.html- Hide quoted text -

On my WIndows Server 2000, we have 8GB memory, six database instances running on Oracle 9.2.0.6. Using Oracle's documenetd techniques of / 3B and /PAE (as in metalink note) I could make use of this memory. I did not find any bugs and my production database instances work just fine. You can search in this group my findings:

Utlizing /3GB and /PAE to go beyong 2GB limitaion of WIndows 32 bit Options

Of course if you can move to 64bit, go for it, but if you cannot there are techniques avaiable to use memory if your application needs it. In my case, I have six instances and having extra memory has helped. Received on Tue Dec 11 2007 - 21:27:13 CST