Re: 2G limitation

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:59:52 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 11, 1:58 pm, Arch <send..._at_spam.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:01:19 +0100, Frank van Bortel
>
> <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >l..._at_tech-trans.com wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> I created the Oracle 10g instance in Intel server. It has 4G memory
> >> and has been installed 32-bit Versions of Windows Server 2003 standard
> >> edition . However, Oracle can only recognize 2G memory when I have
> >> add /PAE /3GB in boot.ini. Now, what can I do?
>
> >> Ming
>
> >I doubt it's Oracle - I think it's MicroSoft Windows.
> >Hence the other not so helpful remarks.
>
> According to Microsoft, the /3GB switch in the boot.ini will enable an
> application to use the full 3 Gig, but only if it is coded to do so.
> An application needs the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in its
> header, otherwise it is limited to 2 Gig.
>
> I'm not suggesting whether it is a Windows limitation or an Oracle
> limitation, but I think that Oracle would be in a better position to
> answer the question than Microsoft.

As Niall said, it is documented on metalink, in particular see Note: 225349.1. The note specifies which combinations of OS and Oracle version work with this, as well as explains how it works, and craploads of problems. You have to use db_block_buffers no matter which version, and set USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS=TRUE.

I have to agree with some others, get a real operating system. Of course, I'm biased.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Mike Myers is Milton Friedman.  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071210/news_1c10book.html