Re: 2G limitation

From: Arch <send.no_at_spam.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:58:49 -0500

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:01:19 +0100, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>leo_at_tech-trans.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I created the Oracle 10g instance in Intel server. It has 4G memory
>> and has been installed 32-bit Versions of Windows Server 2003 standard
>> edition . However, Oracle can only recognize 2G memory when I have
>> add /PAE /3GB in boot.ini. Now, what can I do?
>>
>> Ming
>
>I doubt it's Oracle - I think it's MicroSoft Windows.
>Hence the other not so helpful remarks.

According to Microsoft, the /3GB switch in the boot.ini will enable an application to use the full 3 Gig, but only if it is coded to do so. An application needs the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in its header, otherwise it is limited to 2 Gig.

I'm not suggesting whether it is a Windows limitation or an Oracle limitation, but I think that Oracle would be in a better position to answer the question than Microsoft.

My 2 cents worth,
Arch Received on Tue Dec 11 2007 - 15:58:49 CST