Re: Installing MS-SQL and Oracle into a same server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:42:26 -0800

NetComrade wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:19:30 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
> wrote:
>

>>> Most organizations put Oracle on Windows not because they want to, but
>>> because they don't have a unix admin on staff, and while $3K is tiny
>>> to them, having at least 1 or 2 engineers knowing what to do with a
>>> shell prompt goes up to 100-200K, and many don't like to outsource,
>>> b/c they've been burned by it.

>> A Windows admin that can't pick up Linux in a week is no Windows
>> admin. They are an end user that stumbled into their job because
>> the hiring manager didn't know enough about the subject to ask
>> them any good questions.

> That would be equivalent to saying.."A SQL Server DBA that can't pick
> up Oracle in a week is no SQL Server DBA"..

One day to learn the directory structure and vi One day to learn grep, find, and a few other basic tools One day to master chmod, chown, more, cat, groupadd, useradd, id, etc. One day to learn to write a cron job
0.5 day to learn TAR, CPIO, jar, etc.
30 minutes to learn basic navigation and commands (cd, mkdir, rm, ls)

I'm not saying they would be a stand-alone SA but basic Linux installation and management? Far easier than learning Oracle. In Oracle you couldn't learn the full syntax for CREATE TABLE in a week. In fact I would be willing to bet no one on this board knows anyone that knows the full syntax for CREATE TABLE without looking it up online.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor