Re: Installing MS-SQL and Oracle into a same server

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:30:56 GMT

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:19:30 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Most organizations put Oracle on Windows not because they want to, but
>> because they don't have a unix admin on staff, and while $3K is tiny
>> to them, having at least 1 or 2 engineers knowing what to do with a
>> shell prompt goes up to 100-200K, and many don't like to outsource,
>> b/c they've been burned by it.

>A Windows admin that can't pick up Linux in a week is no Windows
>admin. They are an end user that stumbled into their job because
>the hiring manager didn't know enough about the subject to ask
>them any good questions.

That would be equivalent to saying.."A SQL Server DBA that can't pick up Oracle in a week is no SQL Server DBA".. common, let's be real here, we all had years and years of experience to become experts at what we do.
Even though I used mysql somewhat for the past few years, it's really Oracle that I know, and mysql probably don't even know of 5% of mysql capabilities (as opposed to maybe 40% of oracle ;).. I certainly wouldn't go looking for a job as a mysql DBA. .......
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2, 10gRAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Tue Dec 11 2007 - 02:30:56 CST