Re: Troubles with changing password for SYS in password file

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:08:44 +0100

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:25:33 -0800 (PST), mariok <mario.kackovic_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I have to make this clear:
>There are more then 100-databases on more then 50-servers in my
>company.
>My duty is to change passwords for more then 1000 database
>users(schemas, actually) including user SYS on a regular basis.
>I cannot do that by typing passwords. I have to automate this process
>and therefore I want to use "alter user <usr> identified by values
>'<hash>'" statement.
>But user SYS is the issue.
>
>Mario K.

SYS is not the issue.
The issue it took you almost a day to specify the problem correctly.

I think you should investigate centralized password management as provided by Oracle Internet Directory and/or LDAP. I could suggest using UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE and UTL_FILE.GET_LINE to get passwords across, but then you probably start to nag about unencrypted passwords again. I also could suggest running orapwd on multiple databaes, and receive the same complaint. I can only hope you did disable O/S authentication on that mess, because if you didn't your request is just a big joke.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA