Re: dbca hangs - Oracle 10gR2 RAC, Solaris 10, NetApp NFS

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 02:04:37 GMT

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:32:32 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>NetComrade wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:29:53 -0800 (PST), Yonah Russ
>> <yonah.russ_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have RAC installed on 2 T2000 machines.
>>> Solaris 10, patched
>>> IPMP for failover on all interfaces
>>> NetApp NFS for datafile,voting disk, etc.
>>> Oracle installation, binaries, etc. are on local disks.
>>> All configurations were according to Oracle/NetApp docs.
>>> There were no issues during installation.
>>>
>>> When we try to create the db using dbca, the process hangs during data
>>> dictionary creation.
>>> There is only one error message "Warning: aiowait timed out x times"
>>> All the NFS partitions are mounted forcedirectio, and we have tried
>>> with aio disabled in oracle.
>>> We have also tried without forcedirectio, with nointr instead of intr.
>>> If we create a db on the local disks there is no issue.
>>> There are no problems using the NFS shares in general.
>>
>> Get their 'fibre' module.
>> But NetApp is the biggest POS 'enterprise' array i ever dealt with.
>> Slow as a floppy, and NetApp's reply is 'your fine', even though my PC
>> performs better, and it doesn't cost 100K
>>
>Not mine. I have a 270C here and it does things that would cause your PC
>to fall on its knees and beg for mercy.

We had a 3020 and an R200. I am pretty sure neither could do more than 30megs/sec, and an 5+ yr old dual drive 2650 in RAID 1 outperformed such 'enterprise' storage. I wish we could return both..

Interesting, as you seem to have an array from their 'entry level' line of arrays.. Could you elaborate on the speed you pushed it to?

We have arrays that can do 200Megs/sec and 300Megs/sec on sequential writes, and they can be had for the price of a luxury car or an SUV, but not the NetApp, and their support seemed fairly useless (them: 'you don't have enough spindles', us: but a scsi drive outperforms your aray, them: 'nah, buy more stuff from us')..

I am glad your experience is different from mine, but if I had to buy again, it wouldn't be NetApp

We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Nov 22 2007 - 20:04:37 CST