Re: dbca hangs - Oracle 10gR2 RAC, Solaris 10, NetApp NFS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:32:32 -0800

NetComrade wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:29:53 -0800 (PST), Yonah Russ
> <yonah.russ_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We have RAC installed on 2 T2000 machines.
>> Solaris 10, patched
>> IPMP for failover on all interfaces
>> NetApp NFS for datafile,voting disk, etc.
>> Oracle installation, binaries, etc. are on local disks.
>> All configurations were according to Oracle/NetApp docs.
>> There were no issues during installation.
>>
>> When we try to create the db using dbca, the process hangs during data
>> dictionary creation.
>> There is only one error message "Warning: aiowait timed out x times"
>> All the NFS partitions are mounted forcedirectio, and we have tried
>> with aio disabled in oracle.
>> We have also tried without forcedirectio, with nointr instead of intr.
>> If we create a db on the local disks there is no issue.
>> There are no problems using the NFS shares in general.
>
> Get their 'fibre' module.
> But NetApp is the biggest POS 'enterprise' array i ever dealt with.
> Slow as a floppy, and NetApp's reply is 'your fine', even though my PC
> performs better, and it doesn't cost 100K

> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

Not mine. I have a 270C here and it does things that would cause your PC to fall on its knees and beg for mercy.

Think you could perform 8 simultaneous installations of Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 on your PC? I don't think so. And with 8 running at the same time the NFS mounted NetApp isn't even breathing hard.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor