Re: Archive Logs

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:47:34 GMT

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:04:57 -0800, mtek_at_mtekusa.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We are about to go 10g, this weekend. We are currently on 8i. We
>will export our database, but cannot afford the downtime of the 8i
>database.
>
>Can you take 8i archive logs and apply them to a 10g database?? Is
>this possible? Then we can take over the changes only.....
>
>Regards, and thank you.

How big is your database? Have you tested exports, and finding ways of speeding them up?

You can identify big static tables, copy those in advance, and then only copy the small stuff. You can also get creative with snapshots..

However, that sort of question should've been asked at least 2 weeks prior to your weekend maintenance, not a couple of days, to allow to test some of the suggestions.

Good luck

No you cannot, and 8i is pretty desupported by now, afaik.

We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Nov 14 2007 - 14:47:34 CST