Re: Archive Logs

From: sriram717 <sriram.vrinda_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:41:28 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 14, 8:47 pm, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:04:57 -0800, m..._at_mtekusa.com wrote:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >We are about to go 10g, this weekend. We are currently on 8i. We
> >will export our database, but cannot afford the downtime of the 8i
> >database.
>
> >Can you take 8i archive logs and apply them to a 10g database?? Is
> >this possible? Then we can take over the changes only.....
>
> >Regards, and thank you.
>
> How big is your database? Have you tested exports, and finding ways of
> speeding them up?
>
> You can identify big static tables, copy those in advance, and then
> only copy the small stuff. You can also get creative with snapshots..
>
> However, that sort of question should've been asked at least 2 weeks
> prior to your weekend maintenance, not a couple of days, to allow to
> test some of the suggestions.
>
> Good luck
>
> No you cannot, and 8i is pretty desupported by now, afaik.

> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

In any case consider a scenario assuming it is possible .But if you move from 10g r1 to 10g r2 also , either by doing a manual migration or export import (these generate redo as well ) the sequence of operation is changed and hence the archives generated from 10gr1 are out of sequence.Now if you use flash back and go back in time , you are still in 10g r1 rollingback the dictionary changes the upgrade has done. So would be a NO-NO.Open for others to comment if i am wrong some where?

Thanks

www.ramsora.blogspot.com Received on Thu Nov 15 2007 - 07:41:28 CST