Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:32:04 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
>> Marc Blum wrote:

>>> IMHO the main point and it's not the DBA's fault. Business processes
>>> are incredible complex. And the DBA ist full time ited to get the
>>> databases up and running. Business logic is not within his realm. So
>>> no complaining about that. You need several persons with different
>>> knowledge and skillsets working close together to get urgent issues
>>> solved FAST.
>> You don't fix business logic in production you fix business logic in
>> test. If you can't do that then you are just flailing away trying
>> random stuff until something makes it better or worse.
>
> But, to fix anything, you first need to understand what you might affect
> were you to change anything about the code.

Sorry but I disagree. Lets take a common example. A specific screen in the applications is running slowly and you need to speed it up.

Do you need to understand the business logic to identify the poorly performing query?

Do you need to be on production to take that query and then recode and test it?

Not in my experience.

I'll say it again ... if the DBA can't identify the problem the DBA should be trained or retired. If the developer can't write an improved query without being on the production box the developer needs to be trained or retired.

Look at the best of the best companies in our business such as amazon.com. Do you think there is a chance that any developer will ever be writing code on production? Not even if they brought a handgun to work.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington