Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:28:04 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:

> How bout this one. The application is slower than acceptable. Pretty
> simple, correct? Well, it is the developer who is asked to diagnose it,
> after the DBA says, "I don't know anything about the application."

In my book either train the DBA or replace the DBA. Expecting a developer to be able to run and analyze a StatsPack is ridiculous.

Not that a few of the senior ones can't do it. But if the DBA can't they need to be trained or shown the door.

Lets again return to the analogy of another profession, medical or legal. If your surgeon can't perform the surgery do you want him or her in the OR watching the nurse do it? If you are in court and your $250/hr attorney can't file a brief do you keep him or her on retainer when you know their $25/hr legal assistant is doing the actual work representing you?

Should we be held to a lower standard?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington