Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:45:31 -0700

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 2 Nov 2007 09:47:04 -0500, Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> If there is a situation where the developer is truly more qualified
>>> than the DBA ...
>> Daniel, sadly, this is more normally the case.

> Really?
> So why do I always have to deal with fully unqualified, not to say
> completely incompetent developers?
> Do these rarities actually exist?

Ok all you highly competent developers ready to jump out and tune a production database ... without looking it up ... lets run a small test.

  1. What is the cursor_space_for_time parameter and what are the trade-offs.
  2. What scripts in what directory do you run to create a StatsPack?
  3. What does DBMS_XPLAN.DISPLAY_CURSOR do?
  4. What are the capabilities of the DBMS_SUPPORT package and when should it be used? If you don't find it in your database where is it?
  5. Which dynamic performance view do you look at to determine whether cursors are being invalidated?
  6. Which two dynamic performance view would you use to determine if a deadlock exists?
  7. What is a 10132 level 12 trace?

Ok ... I know your DBA probably can't answer most of them either but that isn't the point. Given two people that can't do the job ... train the DBA to do the DBA job and train the developer to write better code. The solution is not for the developer to hack around prod hoping to stumble on the issue.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington