Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2007 09:44:01 -0500

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
> Hasta wrote:

>> In article <1193490896.740392_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>,
>> damorgan_at_psoug.org says...
>>> there is nothing a developer can learn on a production
>>> server they can't learn from reading Cary Millsap's book, Jonathan
>>> Lewis' book, and looking at the metrics created by the DBA.
>>>
>>> A developer rummaging around a production instance trying to
>>> diagnose what the DBA can not? If you can provide a scenario where
>>> this looks like a good idea I'd be interested in considering it.
>>>
>> Daniel,
>> to write *really* good, efficient programs, a programmer
>> must see its code executing in production. S/he needs
>> to get the feeling, the "haha" experience that only
>> confrontation with reality can provide. Figures and methods are
>> not enough. They are too abstract. Whenever a programmer is
>> disconnected from reality, most often he'll write sub-optimal
>> programs. Note that a development system a never a full
>> simulation of a production system. Regards

> No you don't. Seriously ... you don't. Provided, as I said in my post
> that your test environment isn't just a joke.
>
> To look at how your code is running in production what do you propose
> to do? Run 10046 traces? 10053 traces? Get SELECT on every dba_ and
> gv$ view? Run ad hoc SQL? Assuming you are competent enough to know
> what to look at and for what are you going to learn there that the DBA
> couldn't give you by running StatsPack every 20 minutes?
>
> Sorry ... I'm not buying what you're selling ... unless you can flesh
> it out with specifics about what you can do that your DBA can not.

If the DBA's are actually competent enough to replicate the Production environment in the DEV environment, then, yeah, sure, the developers should be able to solve all production issues before they get there. But, that is one very large and improbably if. So, alas, the developer invariably is solving issues on the production instance.

--
Galen Boyer