Re: Linux on Sun-intel or Dell-intel?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2007 23:53:47 -0700

On Oct 29, 8:28 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > DA Morgan said:
>
> >> But why purchase a license for something you are just going to throw
> >> away? Buy without a hard disk and install your own.
>
> > Cheaper than doing it myself, since it would cut into billable hours.
> > I hate giving MS money on principle, though. In the end, it's not
> > really getting thrown away, since I will need to use it to interface
> > with things outside my control - customers, wife's students, school
> > and other stuff, kids school.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > Kid's school:http://vipers.blackboard.com/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp
> > Yeah, so far I haven't found any browser requirements.

Few minutes after I posted that, found it runs ms-sql on the backend, doesn't support Konqueror, plenty of known bugs with firefox.

> An Oracle Linux install takes about 20 minutes from CDs: Add another
> 10-15 minutes to install a hard disk. Unless your billing rate is
> incredibly high ... you are not saving money by giving it to Microsoft.

It's not so much my rate, as the extra hours running back and forth because the rails are wrong :-O
Seriously, first time you do anything hardware-wise takes much longer, then you still might have to pay someone else to fix it if you don't know a lot about it, not to mention warranty/return issues. Why bother when the vendor must take responsibility? And what about the other apps that are Windows only - factor in the time to figure out how to make them work. What will work on the train wifi?

Like if you want to figure out the electrical problems on your Jag. Mechanics charge the book rate, and maybe do it faster, it will take you a lot longer. And it may be impossible for anyone.

The more I hear, the less I want to even try Vista with one of these 1G laptops. At least I have some clue with XP. And I can see I'll be spending over $1K, maybe over $2K, for mine anyways, dammit. Why hasn't that changed in 20 years?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Beer prices climbing!  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071029/news_1b29beer.html