Re: Backup of large databases

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:14:40 -0700

On Oct 27, 9:20 am, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 26, 8:19 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

snip

> If I backup to disk using RMAN and then backup the backupsets (on
> disk) to tape, why do you think backup times will decrease. Also,
> since my database size is 500GB, Let us say I want to keep a month's
> backups on disk everyweek I do full backup and on weekdsays do
> incremental backup, won't I need 2000GB to 25000GB anount of disk
> sapce.

I think bottom line for you is to figure out if you have any kind of service level agreement with your business owners about backup and restore/recovery.

If you don't have a formal or written one do you at least have a good understanding and commitment from management about what is going on?

If you don't have a formal agreement and your management doesn't at least support you in what is feasible/possible then you are in a bad place and it may be time to either get something formalized or get out the door.

If it takes you 12 hours to backup ... how long to restore and recover?

Is that acceptable? Does it meet your business requirements?

All the rest of the stuff ... whether you use a local tape drive or disk based backups or increase available bandwidth ... can fall out after you work on the first part. Otherwise you are just swimming upstream without a road map of what you are trying to accomplish. Received on Sat Oct 27 2007 - 09:14:40 CDT