Re: Linux on Sun-intel or Dell-intel?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2007 19:30:11 -0700

On Oct 25, 12:35 am, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 25, 7:49 am, "Bob Jones" <em..._at_me.not> wrote:
>

> > <emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Our organization is debating whether we should to Sun-intel (not
> > > solaris) or Dell-intel in terms of hardware for database. Sun-intel
> > > seems to be much cheaper.
>
> > > Does anybody have any experience/comments to share?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > What models are you looking at? You may be comparing systems with different
> > specs.
> > For Linux, I would be more inclined toward Sun, simply because they have
> > more experience in UNIX systems.
>
> For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch Dell with a brass wazoo.
>
> Long stories all of them, but it boils down to Dell being pricey with
> incredibly poor service for what you pay. I would prefer anything by
> HP these days myself

Having a couple of HP XP boxes at home, I'd say preferences are endlessly arguable. One is a piece of crap (fortunately I bought an extended warranty on that one, something I normally won't do), the other suffers from dll hell and MS seems to think I should run some utility to check the hardware, apparently based on reports I've sent when software like IE7 craps out.

Sun has an ancient history of partnering with other hardware manufacturers, then splitting up and badmouthing (AT&T in my personal experience).

I used to be anti-intel, but like everything else, popularity wins over technical superiority, so one deals. Between the different Intel hardware manufacturers, it winds up being a crapshoot, as long as you avoid cheap oriental knock-offs that use fake parts, if you can figure out which are those. Even IBM has effed up at times.

I'm close to buying a laptop, curious about recommendations. I was going to go to Fry's to score those AMD-64's with a couple of gig for $500 they were advertising, but they were evacuated. Now I see recommendations of 3G minimum for Vista... I need more than one.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://vistamagnet.com/home.html