Re: Oracle CBO query cost - retrieve value?

From: cleveridea <cleveridea.net_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:49:43 -0000

On Oct 8, 3:27 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 12:09 pm, cleveridea <cleveridea...._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Given the syntax error ... you are assuming that what you are seeing
> > > is the real statement. I'm not willing to make that assumption.
>
> > > The OP has now stated: "I anonymised & simplified the query data
> > > incorrectly" so, given that it has been simplified, the real issue
> > > may bear no relationship to what has been posted.
>
> > > To the OP. Anonymizing, ok, rename the tables and columns if you wish.
> > > But simplifying makes the exercise meaningless.
> > > --
> > > Daniel A. Morgan
> > > University of Washington
> > > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > Daniel why don't you just ignore such posts that are so problematic to
> > you? Why do you continually waste everyone's time posting how bad
> > other people's posts are
>
> Not answering for Daniel, but rather in general:
>
> It's not a waste of time to present feedback on a question. A bad
> question helps no one, and may indeed hinder people by both being a
> bad example for others to emulate and propagating misinformation or
> bad assumptions. There are such things as bad questions, that's why
> there are postings on how to ask a good question (likehttp://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj12feedback
> appreciated). There may be better ways to present constructive
> criticism, but that applies to all of us. Rather than telling Daniel
> to ignore such posts, try giving him better ways of answering them.
> He's been around here a long time, so perhaps he's set in his ways,
> but he's also an instructor, and presumably receptive to usable
> suggestions on how to get good information propagated.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "Give a Filipino a dog and you've fed him for a day. Teach a Filipino
> to hunt dogs and you've fed him for a lifetime." - Ralph Garman (after
> reporting stories about PETA wanting Britney's dogs taken away and
> Filipinos upset about a "Filipino medical school" line on Desperate
> Housewives). He also voices a dog on Family Guy, most recently seen
> eating discarded human legs.

(continuing off-topic) I can appreciate that providing feedback for bad questions is a good thing to do. And, I can appreciate that everyone can benefit from honing their own skills, myself included - since my posting was just as much a crude criticism and waste of time for everyone. I just disliked seeing yet another visceral and petty posting, and it hacked me off.

So, I apologize for being guilty of the exact thing I implicated Daniel. If I have a specific personal *and* constructive criticism for anyone, I will direct such in an appropriately private fashion in the future. Received on Mon Oct 08 2007 - 16:49:43 CDT