Re: Best way to updat TNSNames.ora in all servers

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:53:36 -0700

On Sep 24, 9:30 am, Krish <Krishna.Bu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> We have many unix (hp-ux, AIX, Linux, Solaris) servers running Oracle
> database 9.2.0 enterprise edition. Each server has 4 or more
> databases. Currently each unix server has its own tnsnames.ora in /etc
> folder and all windows machines TNS_ADMIN is pointing to a shared
> drive.
>
> we are planning to implement one of the below methods to avoid
> "ORA-12154" error whenever new db is created and forgot to update all
> the tnsnames.ora files.
> 1.creating TNSNames.ora in a shared (NFS mounteed) file system and
> pointing all servers TNS_ADMIN to this shared drive.
> 2.shell sciprt to replace all the tnsnames.ora files with the master
> tnsnames.ora( master tnsnames.ora file will be updated whenever new db
> is created)
>
> I would like to know the experts comments, suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help.
>
> Krish.

You've got enough databases there to make it worth your while investing a little time and effort in getting Oracle Internet Directory working. (You're 9i, so you could get Names Server working, too, but Names Server dies in 10g, so OID gives you some futureproofing).

There's an article on implementing OID here: http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/709

I've had good results with OID running in a relatively skimpy virtual machine on Linux doing good names resolution duties for a totally Windows-based environment. (You can do OID on pretty much any platform, of course, it's just that I didn't need a Windows license doing it this way). Received on Sun Sep 23 2007 - 20:53:36 CDT