Re: Best way to updat TNSNames.ora in all servers

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:11:29 -0700

Krish wrote:
> Hi All,
> We have many unix (hp-ux, AIX, Linux, Solaris) servers running Oracle
> database 9.2.0 enterprise edition. Each server has 4 or more
> databases. Currently each unix server has its own tnsnames.ora in /etc
> folder and all windows machines TNS_ADMIN is pointing to a shared
> drive.
>
> we are planning to implement one of the below methods to avoid
> "ORA-12154" error whenever new db is created and forgot to update all
> the tnsnames.ora files.
> 1.creating TNSNames.ora in a shared (NFS mounteed) file system and
> pointing all servers TNS_ADMIN to this shared drive.
> 2.shell sciprt to replace all the tnsnames.ora files with the master
> tnsnames.ora( master tnsnames.ora file will be updated whenever new db
> is created)
>
> I would like to know the experts comments, suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help.
>
> Krish.

And the logic, or lack thereof, creating additional databases on the same server? With an unpatched neolithic version of the product? I find paper cuts less painful.

I'd suggest looking at moving to a single operating system, perhaps Oracle Linux and a supported version of the database, perhaps 10.2.0.3. And consolidating everything into a single database with multiple schemas.

With any luck at all the DBAs might not find themselves working on Sunday.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington