Best way to updat TNSNames.ora in all servers

From: Krish <Krishna.Bussu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:30:03 -0000

Hi All,
We have many unix (hp-ux, AIX, Linux, Solaris) servers running Oracle database 9.2.0 enterprise edition. Each server has 4 or more databases. Currently each unix server has its own tnsnames.ora in /etc folder and all windows machines TNS_ADMIN is pointing to a shared drive.

we are planning to implement one of the below methods to avoid "ORA-12154" error whenever new db is created and forgot to update all the tnsnames.ora files.
1.creating TNSNames.ora in a shared (NFS mounteed) file system and pointing all servers TNS_ADMIN to this shared drive. 2.shell sciprt to replace all the tnsnames.ora files with the master tnsnames.ora( master tnsnames.ora file will be updated whenever new db is created)

I would like to know the experts comments, suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Krish. Received on Sun Sep 23 2007 - 18:30:03 CDT