Re: Backup & Restore

From: Alberto Frosi <alberto.frosi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:44:29 -0700

On Sep 18, 12:35 pm, Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudi..._at_yahoo.it> wrote:
> Ravip via DBMonster.com wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > If i have the backup of the database (RMAN incremental backup) for a
> > particular date, eg: till yesterday I have the backup. Due to some reason ,
> > if restore needs, from which time onwards the archive redolog needs to apply ?
>
> > 16-09-2007 3:00 AM: Backup incremental level 1 - finished successfully
> > 17-09-2007 11:00 AM: DB down to HDD controller failure.
>
> > Need to restore from the 16th backup - and how about the archive redolog
> > files ? Please clarify.
>
> > Thank You.
>
> I'm not confortable with incremental backups, however i think you have to
> restore first your level 0 backup, then all level 1 backups and then apply
> redo logs from last backup op 16-09-2007. This is why i don't like incremental backups....
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Cristian Cudizio
>
> http://oracledb.wordpress.comhttp://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com- Hide quoted text -

Hi Cristian,
the incremental backup is NECESSARY for every db of large dimension. It's RMAN which manage the incremental and the full backup. A full backup it's normally performed every sunday or saturday while the incremental every day, but exist more solution or combination for incremental and full solution.
I've a 9.2 Oracle EE server and i performed this solution, in 10g i don't know.
The incremental backup it's only performed on the EE while in the professional this feature don't exist.
Regards,

Alberto Frosi Received on Tue Sep 18 2007 - 11:44:29 CDT