Re: Oracle Express

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:05:02 +0200

Knickerless Parsons schrieb:
> Morning all,
> I'm a reasonably experienced oracle developer and just starting out
> with XML. My comfort zone is really around large batch applications.
> My goal is to expose functionality of my back end database via web
> services developed in C# .Net. My current plan is to build an address
> database that can be access using web service calls from multiple
> systems.
>
> I just have a couple of quick questions to get me off on the right
> foot:
>
> Apart from the 4-5GB storage restriction, is there any reason why I
> shouldn't use oracle express as my datastore for a proof of concept
> application.
>
> I'm expecting an XML data type but trying to create a column of this
> type fails. I remember reading a manual a while back which used CLOBs,
> is this still the recommended approach or is it a limitation in my
> current database (oracle express).
>
> I'm a way off from building the .NET portion but any views on ODP vs
> ADO as my data connector would also be a big help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave.

The basic xml support is included into Oracle XE. Indeed, the Oracle XE frontend application - ApEx - is built on the XMLDB repository. Majority of sql functions/pl sql packages working with XML are available, e.g.
SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Product PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.1.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> create table xml(id number,content xmltype);

Table created.

1 row created.

SQL> select t.column_value.getStringVal() b

   2 from xml x,
   3 table(xmlsequence(extract(x.content,'/a/b'))) t    4 ;

<b>1</b>
<b>2</b>

However, things related to XQuery (or XMLTable) are not supported, probably the reason is that 10.2.0.1 engine had xquery parser implemented in java ( on later release - 10.2.0.3 it is implemented in c) and JVM is not part of Oracle XE.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Sep 18 2007 - 12:05:02 CDT