Re: Backup & Restore

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:16:40 -0500

Cristian Cudizio wrote:
> Brian Peasland wrote:

>> Cristian Cudizio wrote:

>>> I'm not confortable with incremental backups, however i think you
>>> have to
>>> restore first your level 0 backup, then all level 1 backups and then
>>> apply
>>> redo logs from last backup op 16-09-2007. This is why i don't like
>>> incremental backups....
>>>

>>> regards,
>>>

>> Christian,
>>
>> Have you looked at Incrementally Updated Backups in 10g? With IUB, you
>> only have to restore the level 0 and then *one* level 1 backup and the
>> redo logs.
>>
>> There is more information in the RMAN docs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>>

> Yes, i i've looked. A question, is this feature available on Standard
> Edition?
> From documentation
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#CJACGHEB
>
> i see that incremental backup and recovery are available with SE but
> there is a note thas say's:
> "SE1/SE: no optimized incremental backup"
> what does it means? Is about the optimization described here?
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmconc1008.htm#sthref314
>

> thanks,

I have no clue! I would say that the optimization described in your second link is not the optimization they mean when they say "no optimized incremental backup". But I'm not sure what that term means either. I'm afraid I'd need my Oracle sales rep to sort that one out for me. It has never applied to me in the past since I use EE, so I've never had to ask the question....

I do find it odd that in the Oracle docs where it discusses incremental backups
(http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmconc1005.htm#sthref237), it does not discuss the IUB type. Rather, they are discussed here (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/bkup004.htm#sthref409).

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net