Re: Corrupted dbf file... help!!

From: Helma <helma.vinke_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:11:52 -0700

> I am aware of that. I am not aware of what he
> has or what is accessible in his system, so I provide advice
> that will work no matter what the conditions might be.

Based on the information he supplied - a corrupt file - it should be possible to backup the controlfile to trace - i assume you knew that - or at least you should have know it. The mount phase is when the controlfile is being read. In this mount phase yo can do a backup to trace. It's when a database is opened that the files are opened. There is no guessing here.

> What is the problem with simply using one command
> that dumps the information in one go as opposed
> to speculation about what might or might not be
> working? Too hard to read a screen?

No, the idea is different. If this backup to trace doesn't work - you keep that option open - then that is important information in troubleshooting this problem: there is more going on then a corrupt datafile and he overlooked vital information. Again, if his information is correct there is no speculation needed for the informed DBA.

> Too hard to read a screen?

It seems you're irritated that people give a different solution - a solution that falls within the oracle database as opposed to your filescanning trick. If you know of an useful application of your trick that hasn't got an oracle equivalent, then that would be more interesting. Please post if you know examples,

Helma. Received on Tue Sep 11 2007 - 03:11:52 CDT